FT245R - USB FIFO
is the latest device to be added to FTDI’s range
of USB FIFO interface Integrated Circuit Devices. The FT245R is a
USB to parallel FIFO interface, with the new FTDIChip-ID™ security
dongle feature. In addition, asynchronous and synchronous bit bang
interface modes are available. USB to parallel designs using the FT245R
have been further simplified by fully integrating the external EEPROM,
clock circuit and USB resistors onto the device.
The FT245R adds a new
function compared with its predecessors, effectively making it a
"2-in-1" chip for some application areas. A unique number (the
FTDIChip-ID™) is burnt into the device during manufacture and is
readable over USB, thus forming the basis of a security dongle which can
be used to protect customer application software from being copied.
The FT245R is available in Pb-free (RoHS compliant) compact 28-Lead
SSOP and QFN-32 packages.
Press releases, articles and
web links related to the FT245R can be found
A frequently asked questions
page has been created here.
Key Hardware Features
- Single chip USB to parallel FIFO bidirectional data transfer interface.
- Entire USB protocol handled on the chip - No USB-specific firmware programming required.
- Simple interface to MCU / PLD / FPGA logic with simple 4-wire handshake interface.
- Data transfer rate to 1 Megabyte / second - D2XX Direct Drivers.
- Data transfer rate to 300 kilobyte / second - VCP Drivers.
- FTDI’s royalty-free VCP and D2XX drivers eliminate the requirement
for USB driver development in most cases.
- New USB FTDIChip-ID™ feature.
- FIFO receive and transmit buffers for high data throughput.
- 256 Byte receive buffer and 128 Byte transmit buffer utilising
buffer smoothing technology to allow for high data throughput.
- Adjustable receive buffer timeout.
- Synchronous and asynchronous bit bang mode interface options with
RD# and WR# strobes allow the data bus to be used as a general purpose
- Integrated 1024 bit internal EEPROM for storing USB VID, PID,
serial number and product description strings.
- Device supplied preprogrammed with unique USB serial number.
- Support for USB suspend / resume through PWREN# pin and Wake Up
- In-built support for event characters.
- Support for bus powered, self powered, and high-power bus powered
- Integrated 3.3V level converter for USB I/O .
- Integrated level converter on FIFO interface and control pins for
interfacing to 5V - 1.8V Logic.
- True 5V / 3.3V / 2.8V / 1.8V CMOS drive output and TTL input.
- High I/O pin output drive option.
- Integrated USB resistors.
- Integrated power-on-reset circuit.
- Fully integrated clock - no external crystal, oscillator, or
- Fully integrated AVCC supply filtering - No separate AVCC pin and
no external R-C filter required.
- USB bulk transfer mode.
- 3.3V to 5.25V Single Supply Operation.
- Low operating and USB suspend current.
- Low USB bandwidth consumption.
- UHCI / OHCI / EHCI host controller compatible.
- USB 2.0 Full Speed compatible.
- -40°C to 85°C extended operating temperature range.
- Available in compact Pb-free 28 Pin SSOP and QFN-32 packages (both
Upgrading Legacy Peripherals to USB
Cellular and Cordless Phone USB data transfer cables and
Interfacing MCU / PLD / FPGA based designs to USB
USB Audio and Low Bandwidth Video data transfer
PDA to USB data transfer
USB Smart Card Readers
USB Industrial Control
USB MP3 Player Interface
USB FLASH Card Reader / Writers
Set Top Box PC - USB interface
USB Digital Camera Interface
USB Hardware Modems
USB Wireless Modems
USB Bar Code Readers
USB Software / Hardware Encryption Dongles